Table of contents
- Energy efficiency is the order of the day!
- Reducing energy consumption – but how?
- The digital building
- Everything in view with IoT platform
- Which buildings to digitize?
- Advantages of building digitization
- Challenges of building digitization
- Promotion of digitization projects
- Tips for successful building digitization planning
- Our contribution to your building digitization
Energy efficiency is the order of the day!
Rising energy prices are causing problems for building operators. At the same time, CO2 emissions are to be reduced in the interests of climate protection. There is therefore no way around saving energy. With its Climate Protection Act, the German government has set itself the goal of reducing heating requirements in buildings by 80 % by 2050. To achieve this goal, the government has issued specifications and requirements for residential and non-residential buildings, which are regularly tightened. As a result, fundamental changes are coming to building operators.
Legislative measures to be mentioned:
- the Building Energy Act (GEG) sets requirements for building technology, insulation and energy supply
- the Heating Costs Ordinance (HKVO) provides for the gradual introduction of remote-readable meter systems
- the Energy Services Act (EDL-G) obliges large companies to introduce an energy management system or environmental management system or to conduct energy audits
Reducing energy consumption – but how?
Energy costs can be significantly reduced by modernizing buildings. In addition to the expansion of renewable energies, energy efficiency is of central importance for the reduction of CO2 emissions. There are three adjusting screws here:
- Thermal insulation can slow the loss of heat or cold through a building’s exterior envelope. This reduces the need for heating or cooling power. The greatest savings can usually be realized by insulating facades, roofs and windows.
- A lot of energy can be saved by installing new efficient equipment technology. For example, existing plants often use inefficient or incorrectly adjusted technology, such as old fans or boilers with poor efficiency. The use of heat recovery also further reduces the heat requirement.
- Digitization of buildings is probably the simplest option, as it can be integrated into existing systems, usually without having to replace plant components. Here, data about buildings, systems and the environment are collected and intelligent control of building technology is made possible. Thus, the use of energy can be optimally adapted to the demand and up to 40% energy can be saved.
The digital building
The future is digital! More and more devices can be networked with each other and this trend does not stop at buildings, because enormous savings potentials result from the communication of sensors, intelligent control and actuators. Digitized buildings are also referred to as smart buildings. In them, the building technology is optimally adapted to the energy demand. To do this, we measure constantly and everywhere – for example, the outside temperature, the current room occupancy, the room temperature and humidity, or even the solar radiation. With the help of the collected data, optimal comfort is created with minimal energy input, as room conditioning, for example, is adapted to the room occupancy and external influences. Manual adjustment, for example, adjusting the heating power by turning the heating thermostat, is no longer necessary.
Everything in view with IoT platform
Via an Internet-of-Things platform, operators of smart buildings can view the data of the building and the building technology at any time and make adjustments if necessary. To give the user a better overview of the data, buildings or plants can be displayed in a virtual image, the digital twin, and enriched with live data. This enables convenient monitoring and rapid intervention in the system, and errors and maintenance requirements are detected more reliably. DEOS AG offers a vendor-neutral IoT solution with the pro.Building Suite.
Which buildings to digitize?
Building digitization makes a lot of sense in buildings such as office buildings, schools, hotels or retail, as the investments pay off quickly due to the high energy savings. For this purpose, buildings are equipped with sensors, which are connected to a control system. This control technology processes the data and controls intelligently controllable actuators.
The digitization of buildings is not only an important topic for new construction projects. This is because the modernization of existing buildings in particular brings enormous savings. Thus, retrofits usually pay for themselves after 1 to 5 years. Often, the new intelligent technology can be integrated into existing plants. However, in contrast to new buildings, the connection of sensors and actuators through conventional wiring is usually very complex and expensive. With the use of radio-based LoRaWAN technology, DEOS AG offers an ideal solution for the wireless connection of sensors and actuators.
Advantages of building digitization
Challenges in building digitization
In addition to the multitude of benefits, there are also some challenges that need to be considered when digitizing buildings.
Acquiring and implementing the necessary technologies such as sensors can be costly. Thanks to relevant subsidy programs, large parts of the costs can usually be saved.
Modernization of existing buildings
Subsequent cable laying is often associated with difficulties. One solution is the wireless connection of sensors and actuators, for example using LoRaWAN technology.
It is important to protect the collected data from unauthorized access and misuse. For us, well thought-out safety requirements are therefore of paramount importance.
One of the challenges in digitizing buildings is to ensure that the various systems and technologies used are compatible and can communicate with each other. DEOS products can therefore make use of a wide range of communication standards, so that a manufacturer-neutral connection is possible.
Ease of use
It is important that the systems and technologies used are easy to use and understand to promote adoption and use.
Promotion of digitization projects
Your building digitization is in many cases financially supported by the state, so that your investment will pay off even faster. Measurement, switching and control technology, sensor technology and energy management software are being promoted.
In this context, the German Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA) awards subsidies of up to 15 million euros per investment project under Module 3: I&C, sensor technology and energy management software of the Energy and Resource Efficiency in Industry subsidy program, with a subsidy rate of up to 40 percent.
If a loan is needed instead, the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW) subsidy program of the same name will provide Loans of up to 25 million euros are granted with a repayment subsidy of up to 55%.
Furthermore, the BAFA promotes under the funding program Federal funding for efficient buildings – Plant engineering (except heating) Ventilation and air-conditioning systems as well as the installation of measurement, control and regulation technology for the realization of a building automation level of at least class B according to DIN V 18599-11 with up to 15 % of the eligible expenses from a minimum investment volume of 2,000 euros.
- Application with the involvement of an energy efficiency expert
- Proof of the integration of subsidized technology into an energy management system by means of a system concept
Tips for successful building digitization planning
- Identify concrete goals that you want to achieve with your digitization project. For example, reduction of energy costs by 30%
- Identify requirements that users have for the project.
- Consider data security and privacy requirements.
- Check the compatibility of the systems with existing building
- Consider current and future government regulations in the building
- Inquire about possible funding opportunities.
Our contribution to your building digitization
We support you in your digitization project! DEOS AG offers holistic hardware and software solutions for the automation and digitalization of buildings in the areas of heating, ventilation and air conditioning control. In addition, with the pro.Building Suite, we offer a platform that allows you to monitor and report on your property. Due to the highly interconnected nature of smart buildings, operational and cyber security is always our top priority.